I came up with this dish wanting to make a starter which was super refreshing, and ideal to serve on a hot summer day.
This is a real crowd-pleaser, with loads of fun elements to it and a little hidden surprise under the tomatoes. My other half deemed it to be one of the best things I’ve ever made, which I guess is saying a lot – but you can judge for yourselves!
▪ Type: Vegetarian (can be made vegan if using vegan cream cheese)
▪ Approx. Preparation time: 10 mins
▪ Approx. Cooking time: 10 mins
▪ Approx. Cooling time: 20 mins in the freezer
▪ Serves: 2
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- Two tablespoons luxury cream cheese
- 4 asparagus
- Green stems from three spring onions
- Some olive oil, to dash and stir fry
- Salt, pepper and paprika to season
- Balsamic vinegar to dot around at serving time
- A small handful fresh Greek basil
- Boil the tomatoes for five mins
- After the five minutes, take the tomatoes out of the water. Remove the peel (it should slide off on its own)
- Cut and smash the tomatoes into a rough purée
- Add a dash of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and a pinch of paprika. Leave the tomatoes in the freezer to chill until serving time.
- Chop the green stalks off the spring onions, and slice them vertically in long bits pieces
- Wash the Greek basil leaves and chop them roughly.
Cooking & Assembly Steps
- Trim the bottom of the asparagus. Heat some olive oil in a small pan. When the oil is hot, add the asparagus and some salt. Stir well and cook for a few minutes, until the asparagus are cooked through.
- At the time of serving, take the tomatoes out of the freezer and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Place a spoonful of cream cheese at the bottom of bowls plates.
- Cover the cream cheese with the tomato purée mixture.
- Place some spring onion pieces on the top.
- Place two asparagus on each plate to form a cross shape.
- Sprinkle with Greek basil leaves and finish by rotting around some balsamic vinegar.
- Serve right away.